Angle Closure Glaucoma
Goal: To improve understanding and management of angle closure glaucoma (PACG)
Current research includes evaluation and phenotypic characterization of primary angle closure glaucoma patients, improved screening modalities for angle closure and better management of the disease. An ongoing clinical trial aims to compare laser iridotomy (LI) with no treatment in subjects with asymptomatic narrow angles, the anatomical trait that predisposes to PACG, in order to assess the effectiveness of prophylactic treatment in the prevention of blindness due to PACG.
Glaucoma Imaging and Clinical Research
Goal: To develop enhanced imaging modality and treatments for glaucoma
This group encompasses research that involves the evaluation of various imaging devices (eg Ultrasound Biomicroscopy (UBM), optical coherence tomography, Retcam etc); studies on medical, laser and surgical management of glaucoma, epidemiological studies as well as new techniques in glaucoma such as pupillometry, motion detection perimetry, 24-hour IOP monitoring and Oxymap
Goal: To identify gene(s) underlying glaucoma
Current research involves the identification of novel loci for PACG and POAG, both monogenic and polygenic, by traditional family based linkage, candidate gene and genome wide association analyses. Recently, we identified three novel genetic loci in PACG and we will be following up patients at risk to evaluate these and other loci in profiling genetic and anatomical risks for progression. Further, we are characterizing the genetic loci in PACG in cell lines and hope to identify molecular targets of importance in pathogenesis and management of PACG.
Biomechanics and Glaucoma
Goal: To develop biomarkers using biomechanical properties of tissues in the anterior segment and Optic nerve head, related to glaucoma
Research related to biomechanics of optic nerve head and anterior segment tissues is the main focus of a team of scientists from NUS and SERI. Several studies in primates and humans are being conducted to evaluate these properties and efforts are made to find their association to diagnosis of the types of glaucoma and prognosis related to progression and management.
- Trikha S, Saffari E, Nongpiur M, Baskaran M, Ho H, Li Z, Tan PY, Allen J, Khor CC, Perera SA, Cheng CY, Aung T, Vithana E. A Genetic Variant in TGFBR3-CDC7 Is Associated with Visual Field Progression in Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma Patients from Singapore. Ophthalmology. 2015 Sep 14.
- Thakku SG, Tham YC, Baskaran M, Mari JM, Strouthidis NG, Aung T, Cheng CY, Girard MJ. A Global Shape Index to Characterize Anterior Lamina Cribrosa Morphology and Its Determinants in Healthy Indian Eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015 Jun;56(6):3604-14.
- Baskaran M, Foo RC, Cheng CY, Narayanaswamy AK, Zheng YF, Wu R, Saw SM, Foster PJ, Wong TY, Aung T. The Prevalence and Types of Glaucoma in an Urban Chinese Population: The Singapore Chinese Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 May 14.
- Li Z, Allingham RR, Nakano M, Jia L, Chen Y, Ikeda Y, Mani B, Chen LJ, Kee C, Garway-Heath DF, Sripriya S, Fuse N, Abu-Amero KK, Huang C, Namburi P, Burdon K, Perera SA, Gharahkhani P, Lin Y, Ueno M, Ozaki M, Mizoguchi T, Krishnadas SR, Osman EA, Lee MC, Chan AS, Tajudin LS, Do T, Goncalves A, Reynier P, Zhang H,Bourne R, Goh D, Broadway D, Husain R, Negi AK, Su DH, Ho CL, Blanco AA, LeungCK, Wong TT, Yakub A, Liu Y, Nongpiur ME, Han JC, Hon DN, Shantha B, Zhao B, SangJ, Zhang N, Sato R, Yoshii K, Panda-Jonas S, Ashley Koch AE, Herndon LW, Moroi SE, Challa P, Foo JN, Bei JX, Zeng YX, Simmons CP, Bich Chau TN, Sharmila PF, Chew M, Lim B, Tam PO, Chua E, Ng XY, Yong VH, Chong YF, Meah WY, Vijayan S, Seongsoo S, Xu W, Teo YY, Cooke Bailey JN, Kang JH, Haines JL, Cheng CY, Saw SM, Tai ES; ICAARE-Glaucoma Consortium; NEIGHBORHOOD Consortium, Richards JE, Ritch R, Gaasterland DE, Pasquale LR, Liu J, Jonas JB, Milea D, George R, Al-Obeidan SA, Mori K, Macgregor S, Hewitt AW, Girkin CA, Zhang M, Sundaresan P, Vijaya L, Mackey DA, Wong TY, Craig JE, Sun X, Kinoshita S, Wiggs JL, Khor CC, Yang Z, Pang CP, Wang N, Hauser MA, Tashiro K, Aung T, Vithana EN. A common variant near TGFBR3 is associated with primary open angle glaucoma. Hum Mol Genet. 2015 Apr 10.
- Narayanaswamy A, Leung CK, Istiantoro DV, Perera SA, Ho CL, Nongpiur ME, Baskaran M, Htoon HM, Wong TT, Goh D, Su DH, Belkin M, Aung T. Efficacy of selective laser trabeculoplasty in primary angle-closure glaucoma: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb;133(2):206-12.
- Nongpiur ME, Haaland BA, Friedman DS, Perera SA, He M, Foo LL, Baskaran M, Sakata LM, Wong TY, Aung T. Classification Algorithms Based on Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography Measurements for Detection of Angle Closure. Ophthalmology 2013; 120(1):48-54.
- Narayanaswamy AK, Zheng C, Perera SA, Htoon HM, Friedman DS, Tun TA, He M, Baskaran M, Aung T. Variations in Iris Volume with Physiological Mydriasis in Subtypes of Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2013; 54: 708-13
- Zheng C, Guzman CP, Cheung CY, He Y, Friedman DS, Ong SH, Narayanaswamy AK, Chew PT, Perera SA, Aung T. Analysis of Anterior Segment Dynamics using Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography Before and After Laser Peripheral Iridotomy. Arch Ophthalmol/JAMA Ophthalmol 2013; 131: 44-9.
- Vithana EN, Khor CC, Qiao C, Nongpiur ME, George R, Chen LJ, Do T, Abu-Amero K, Huang CK, Low S, Tajudin LS, Perera SA, Cheng CY, Xu L, Jia H, Ho CL, Sim KS, Wu R, Tham CC, Chew PT, Su DH, Oen FT, Sarangapani S, Soumittra N, Osman EA, Wong HT, Tang G, Fan S, Meng H, Huong DT, Wang H, Feng B, Baskaran M, Shantha B, Ramprasad VL, Kumaramanickavel G, Iyengar SK, How AC, Lee KY, Sivakumaran TA, Yong VHK, Ting SML, Li Y, Wang YX, Tay WT, Sim X, Lavanya R, Cornes BK, Zheng YF, Wong TT, Loon SC, Yong VK, Waseem N, Yaakub A, Chia KS, Allingham RR, Hauser MA, Lam DSC, Hibberd ML, Bhattacharya SS, Zhang M, Teo YY, Tan DT, Jonas JB, Tai ES, Saw SM, Hon DN, Al-Obeidan SA, Liu JJ, Bich Chau TN, Simmons CP, Bei JX, Zeng YX, Foster PJ, Vijaya L, Wong TY, Pang CP, Wang N, Aung T. Genome-wide association analyses identify three new susceptibility loci for Primary Angle Closure Glaucoma. Nat Genet 2012 Oct;44(10):1142-6. doi: 10.1038/ng.2390. Epub 2012 Aug 26.
- How AC, Baskaran M, Kumar RS, He MG, Foster PJ, Lavanya R, Wong HT, Chew PTK, Friedman DS, Aung T. Changes in anterior segment morphology after laser peripheral iridotomy: An anterior segment optical coherence tomography study. Ophthalmology 2012; 119: 1383-7.
|Prof Aung Tin||Senior Consultant, SNEC|
|Adj. A/Prof Ho Ching Lin||Senior Consultant, SNEC|
|Adj. A/Prof Rahat Husain||Senior Consultant, SNEC|
|Adj. A/Prof Shamira Perera||Senior Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Boey Pui Yi||Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Desmond Quek||Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Alicia How||Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Jocelyn Chua||Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Daniel Su||Consultant, SNEC|
|Dr Michael Girard||Research Scientist|
|A/Prof Cheng Ching-Yu||Head, Ocular Epidemiology Research Group|
|Dr Baskaran Mani||Senior Clinical Research Fellow|
|Dr Monisha Esther Nongpiur||Senior Clinical Research Fellow|
|Dr Sourabh Sharma||Clinical Research Fellow, SERI|
|Dr Eray Atalay||Clinical Research Fellow, SERI|
|Dr Sushma Verma||Clinical Research Fellow, SERI|
|Dr Tin Aung Tun||Clinical Research Associate II|
Research Optometrists/ Coordinators/ Assistants
|Serena Ting||Assistant Manager (Clinical Trial Coordinators)|
|Teo Soh Chin||Research Optometrist II|
|Stella Ng||Research Optometrist|
|Ooi Ya Ying||Research Coordinator II|
|Elaine Tang||Research Coordinator|
|Lai Yan See||Research Coordinator|
|Cynthia Ong||Research Coordinator|
|Wong Pooi San||Research Coordinator|
|Anna Sim||Clinical Trial Coordinator|
|Cheryl Tan||Clinical Trial Coordinator|
|Elaine Chua||Clinical Trial Coordinator|
|Evelyn Ho||Clinical Trial Coordinator|
|Jennie Cheong||Clinical Trial Coordinator|
|Eve Sim||Project Assistant|
|A/Prof Eranga Vithana||Senior Principal Research Scientist|
|Dr Khor Chiea Chuen (GIS)||Research Scientist|
|Dr Lee Mei Chin||Senior Research Fellow|
|Victor Yong||Research Officer|
|Ng Xiao Yu||Research Officer|
|Goh Shuang Ru||Research Officer|
|Chong Yaan Fun||Research Assistant|
|Chen Yue Ming||Research Assistant|
Contact Us: Prof Aung Tin at firstname.lastname@example.org